Ex-Gov, El-Rufai To Spend Second Night In ICPC Custody
Former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, is expected to spend a second night in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, with no confirmed report of his release as of Thursday evening.
The anti-graft agency had earlier confirmed his detention in a statement signed by its Head of Media and Public Communications, Okor Odey.
“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna state, is in our custody as of the close of work today, Wednesday, the 18th day of February, 2026. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.
Sources familiar with the process who spoke with Vanguard said investigators were still engaging the former governor as part of standard procedures.
“They are carrying out standard investigative procedures, including questioning him, taking his statement under caution and reviewing financial and project documents linked to his administration,” a source said.
According to the source, investigators were confronting El-Rufai with financial records, contract files and other materials relevant to their inquiry, a process that typically requires the suspect’s physical presence to clarify entries and formally record statements.
El-Rufai’s continued stay in ICPC custody follows developments earlier in the week after he honoured an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged financial improprieties linked to his tenure between 2015 and 2023.
He spent two nights at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja undergoing questioning over transactions and projects executed during his administration.
The EFCC granted him administrative bail on Wednesday evening after the initial round of questioning. However, moments later, armed operatives stationed outside the commission’s premises reportedly took him into fresh custody in connection with a separate probe.
The ICPC subsequently issued formal confirmation of his detention.
The matter has also drawn in the Department of State Services (DSS) following El-Rufai’s recent television comments alleging unlawful phone interception involving the National Security Adviser.
The claim has triggered separate cybercrime charges filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The development underscores the overlapping yet distinct mandates of Nigeria’s anti-corruption and security agencies, as multiple bodies pursue different investigative angles involving the former governor.
Leave a Reply